Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sailor Moon

    When I was younger I used to rush home from school everyday to catch the episodes of sailor moon on Fox Kids. I loved it so much that I had the sailor moon action figure and jumped around the front room shouting 'Moon prism power' along with the show. Serena/Salior Moon was always my favourite character along with Lita/Sailor Jupiter, although Mina/ Sailor Venus came close. I fell in love with the character Darien/Tuxedo as did every other young girl watching and wanted Luna to be my cat.

    But recently I rewatched all of them and I honestly cannot believe how much I have forgotten about the show, not only that but my opinions on characters have severly changed. For instance Darien is not the loving boyfriend to serena, who shows up whenever shes in trouble to help her. He shows up and says "Sailor moon, use your tiara!", which she should remember since at the beginning of the series its the only weapon she has; seriously if this show used texting more often in it, Darien would have just text her and stayed in bed. But after he shows up and reminds her as to what she has to do, he just goes off. When they are together he likes her for say one episode then wants to break up with her, not to mention how mean he was to her before they went out. The only time he is nice to her is when he is evil and working for the negaverse. There are a lot of holes in their relationship even though they know they get married and have kids because they went to the future. But even after that I still love Darien.

    Luna is another character who I kinda hate now, she hates serena and wants her to be amy/ Sailor Mercury. She actually says in one later episode "Serena, why cant you be more like amy?". But it doesnt stop there she always puts her down, calling her useless, hopeless and thinking she wont do well in anything. I cant believe I wanted her as a cat, if I did get my wish, I dread to think what she would say to me. Luna conviently forgets that serena saves the world by herself time and time again, while all the other scouts and Darien have dies or been knocked unconcious. Yet everything that serena does she gets moaned at not only by Luna but by Raye/Sailor Mars aswell. Its only watching it again that i can laugh at how Raye wants Darien so much at the start of Sailor Moon and throughout the different series makes comments about how serena doesn't deserve Darien.

    Now don't get me wrong even though I am saying all of this Sailor Moon is still one the best shows ever in my opinion, I mean they even put life lessons on after the episodes in 'Sailor Moon Says', whats better than that an awesome episode of female heroines then a lesson in how to share afterwards, what could be better than that? I love to watch them.  I just wanted to make that clear before anyone thinks im just moaning about this show. These things that I'm writing about actually make me laugh. Mina has a humour that I can only now aprreciate. Amy is so much more boring than I remember, her episodes are about her making friends with old men, how smart she is and how she thinks people don't like her. To be honest I dont think she would have been hugely missed if she left the country, her powers arent the best of the lot. Aqua illusion isnt an illusion, Mercury bubbles arent bubbles, its a mist. She has only got worse and doesn't get much better throughout the rests of the series. I know Amy is popular with some fans but I just personally just think the other scouts have more useful powers and have more depth as characters.

    One of the best characters turned out to be Artemis, he helps everyone and is so sweet when it comes to Mina. One episode when she is feeling really low about a boy, Artemis shows up and surprises her with a bunch of flowers. He always believes in the scouts and has faith that everything will work out just fine. He is such a good character in comparrison to some of them others. Amara/ Sailor Uranus I just find annoying, everything about her annoys me, she thinks she is much better than she is and always makes it known  to the others that she thinks she is better then them. What is fighting serena about at the end of Sailor Moon S, its already been proved she is their princess and she has just saved the worl , again and Uranus decides to fight her to make sure she is worthy of her service. Now i know Michelle/Sailor Neptune was there too but I think Uranus is the decison make in that relationship. Michelle is never anything but nice to the scouts unless Uranus is involved then she changes. So not totally blameless but I still think something fishy is happening there.

 Its not just the characters that i've noticed, it's the storylines aswell. Some are completely dire but I still watch them. There is one story where a designer with one the most disturbing voices I have ever heard, has special pencils that she uses to draw and the negaverse curse her pencils so when she draws she becomes evil. Why that sounds like a good plot I will never know, but yet I sit there and listen to the woman with the bad voice go on and on and cant look away.

  As I said before I do love Sailor Moon and I always will so I'm not complaining about how bad it is, just things that make me laugh and find hilarious when I compare the show now to how I viewed it as a child.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment